If you started your business last year and things are looking good, you should congratulate yourself, as many new ventures fold within the first year, and if sales targets are regularly being achieved, it is time to think about expansion. A growing business cannot wait for expansion, and the consequences of any delay could be serious. A growing demand for a product or service must be met, and with the same high level of service, so if the move is necessary, time is very much of the essence. If you have reached this point, here are a few important things to consider when relocating your business.
- The Right Location – There are many questions that need to be answered, such as,
- Does the new location involve extra travelling time for the employees?
- Are there adequate access points (major roads and rail link)
- Are the new facilities suitable in every respect?
The other important thing to consider is available resources to facilitate further expansion, as you do not want to have to repeat the relocation process again anytime soon. If you involve your staff in the process of deciding what constitutes the perfect location, you can kill two birds with one stone. Firstly, you will have a list of essential requirements, and with many heads, all focusing on the same thing, you will certainly not overlook anything.
- The Move Itself – Assuming you have found the ideal venue, the next step is to call in an established office relocation firm, who have the resources to handle the entire operation, and with their help, the move will be stress free. Utility services will need to be arranged, and while you are doing that, it is wise to go for a smart meter upgrade, which will help you to reduce running costs. A single company can handle the connection and disconnection of gas, water, and electric, and they also handle telecom services, which are essential for every business. In the UK, there happens to be a nationwide provider, which is equipped to handle any size operation, and with their help, you can be sure to have all the essential utilities hooked up on the big day.
- New Office Design – This is perhaps the most important component of the move, and if you hire the right office fitout firm, they would have their own in-house design team, and they would spend some time in your workspace, with the intention of really understanding how the company operates, and only then is it possible to design something that is ideal and improves productivity. Involve your staff in design choices, as this will develop a sense of ownership, and your employees are more likely to go that extra mile.
If you plan the relocation well in advance, you will have ample time to consider every aspect of the move, ensuring that the expansion will result in sustained development, and with ample resources at the new premises, the business can continue to grow.